Beef Shanks Slow Cooked with Bacon & Tomatoes
* Adapted from Long Way on a Little by Shannon Hayes*
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 lbs beef shanks (or short ribs)
- 1 T lard or butter
- 3 ounces diced bacon (about 4 slices)
- 2 T grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 1 T Coriander-Herb Paste (see below)
- 1 T coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/8 c olive oil
- 3 T fresh parsley (1 T dried)
- 1 T grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
1. Place the onions, carrots and celery on the bottom of a large slow cooker. Rub the beef all over with the coriander-herb paste. Heat a skillet over a medium flame and brown the beef, about 4 minutes per side. Set the meat on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the bacon to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned. Add it to the slow cooker.
2. Pour 1/2 cup water into the skillet. Bring it to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits and incorporate them into the pan juices. Pour the pan juices around (not on) the meat in the slow cooker. Add the lemon zest, thyme and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until tender.
3. Meanwhile, make the gremolata: combine the parsley, lemon zest and walnuts in a food processor. Process until the nuts are ground. Carve the cooked beef into slices or chunks and serve in shallow bowls, topped with the vegetables, tomatoes and a sprinkling of gremolata.
Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 corned beef brisket, including any liquid in package
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium head cabbage, sliced
In dutch oven or slow cooker, place all ingredients. If using dutch oven, place in oven at 250 degrees F for 4-8 hours, or until meat is fork tender. If using slow cooker, place all ingredients in crock and cover. Turn on high and cook 6-8 hours, or until meat is fork tender.